COVID-19 has taken the entire world including our nation by storm. People are much more worried about their health, now more than ever.We have been resting in our homes for more than a month now. You have to agree that your physical activity has been reduced by a great deal. You might be aware of the fact that our diet, health and physical activity are interlinked. Exercising is very important to keep both our mental and physical health at check. In times like these, it becomes all the way more important.
At times like these, you might not be able to go to the gym, or go outside to exercise, but the least you can do is exercise at home, even take a walk everyday on the terrace, also make sure to keep your area infection free. Keep a look on the best health blogs for healthy breakfast ideas, or power yoga postures. There is so much to do that you might feel lost or confused, and could be looking out for the best health blogs.This article is what you need to read to know how to stay fit, and healthy in this lockdown and self-isolation period. You wouldn’t want to become lazier or stock more belly fat. So, here is how you canstay fit in times of COVID-19. Keep reading!
Exercises You Can Do At Home
You need to devote at least 2 hours or so every week to moderate to vigorous intensity exercises, every week, as per WHO. In addition to that, you need to strengthen your muscles too by exercising for 2 or more days every week.
- Hollow Body Hold (Strengthens your Arms)
- Planks, like 1-Arm Plant (Strengthens your muscles)
- Push-ups (To build strength)
- Dynamic high-knees
These are home-based exercises that make use of your body weight. Try and do some such bodyweight sessions every week. Devote a particular time of the day to it. Aim for the following:
- Try to do 2 to 4 sets of every exercise with 8 to 15 repetitions of each.
- The resting period between these sets should be 2 to 3 minutes.
This is an excellent way to improve your physical strength and stay fit. Not only will it strengthen your calves, shin, and overall leg muscles, but it will also reduce your belly fat. Just aim for three sets of 20 second fast stair climbing every day. That, on its own will improve your fitness level within 6 weeks. You can do this with your apartment stairs. So, from tomorrow avoid the elevators and say hello to the stairs.
Dance your way through isolation
Did you know that dance is an awesome way to protect your heart? Not only is it enjoyable but it helps you to stay fit as well. Dancing involve moderate or even vigorous level of physical activity. It also is equivalent to high-intensity interval training. Besides, dancing has some mental health benefits as well. It will help you deal with the solitude arising due to COVID-19’s self-isolation.
Nutrition Is Very Important
All the stress surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic has led to people buying a lot of rice and pulses, and also, disruptions in supply of food. Do not go for ready meals and processed foods. That would just cut back on your fitness regime and decrease your immunity. You need to come up with nutritious diet, healthy breakfast ideas, and overall healthy eating to build immunity and support your body’s growth. Here are 5 tips to keep your eating habits in check in this lockdown period:
- Increase your fruit and vegetable intake. Buy fresh and sturdy vegetables whenever you get hold of them. Chop them and store them in your refrigerator, they can last long like that.
- Build up healthy snacking habits. Swap in chicken, curd, eggs,Apple cidar vinegar , fruits and dried fruits like nuts, almonds, cashews, raisins, curd, eggs, chopped fruits, etc. as snack options instead of biscuits, chips, sweets, etc.
- Avoid the consumption of processed foods.
- Don’t eat too much in the isolation period due to boredom. Avoid stress eating.
- Keep sipping water throughout the day
Do not Underestimate The Power of Yoga
Yoga is a natural way to stay fitand surprisingly lose belly fat, without having to step outside. Power yoga has amazing health benefits. Some of them are improving heart health, boosting immunity, reducing belly fat, improving mental health, and more. Mental health is just as important as physical health, if not more and power yoga will help you with both.
Yoga for beginners could seem scary but trust me, it’s not. Here are some yoga postures that will keep your health in check. These postures work great as yoga for beginners as well:
- Pranayama(takes away stress and improves immunity)
- Matsyasana (Fish posture)
- Uttanasana (Forward fold position)
- ViparitaKarani (Legs up against the wall)